Social impact consulting is rapidly growing, drawing interest from some of the world’s top consulting firms. While most large consultancy firms offer social consulting services on the side, others specialise in the field. Regardless of whether you are looking for a social consultancy to work in or are just curious to learn about the industry, we have put together the best social impact consultancy firms around the world, ranked according to their global capabilities in the social sector.
- DAI: DAI (Development Alternatives Incorporated) is the global leader in social impact consulting. The American firm focuses on economic and social development, working in over 150 countries with governments and internationally-leading institutions such as the United States Department of State, the World Bank and the World Food Programme.
- Deloitte: Deloitte’s Global Social Impact practice works with clients in the public, private, and social sectors to transform their aspirations into tangible impact. Currently, consulting projects focus on four key areas: health and wellbeing, energy and environment, Societal resilience, and opportunity and accessibility.
- ICF: Despite recording revenues of US $1.48 billion in 2019, ICF is a key player in the social sustainability sphere. For example, ICF has implemented its Integrated Planning Model (IPM) worldwide to generate electricity in a cost-efficient and environmentally friendly manner. Though strongly focused on technology, ICF addresses a wide range of social issues, such as human trafficking, housing, and sustainable development.
- Booz Allen Hamilton: This consulting giant has one guiding purpose: “to empower people to change the world”. Apart from its usual consulting services, the consultancy drives its social impact effort through the Booz Allen Foundation, which focuses on Youth and Education, Veterans and Military Families, Global Health and Assistance at Times of Declared Disaster.
- PwC: Boasting a workforce of 276,000 people spread across 742 locations, PwC has the human capital and resources to become a leader in the social impact sphere. Not only does it have a practice dedicated to social sustainability consulting, but it also supports social start-ups with initiatives such as the Social Impact Lab, an international competition designed to finance the leaders of tomorrow.
- EY: While its main services revolve around assurance and auditing, EY still has a strong focus on social responsibility. EY Ripples is an initiative to make use of the company’s 284,00-strong workforce to work with impact entrepreneurs and the leaders of tomorrow. The project has an ambitious goal: to positively affect the lives of one billion people by 2030. Moreover, the Sustainable Impact Hub provides innovative solutions to help companies meet ESG objectives.
- McKinsey & Company: McKinsey & Company has worked in over 5,400 social projects and with 375 government agencies to ensure a just and sustainable future. Projects span over a wide range of sectors and functions, including strategy, organisation, digital and analytics, and operations.
- KPMG: The multinational headquartered in the Netherlands has over 50 member firms with specialist teams to tackle any environmental or social sustainability project. Moreover, KPMG is building a global community of socially conscious enterprises and individuals through its KPMG Global Sustainability Institute.
- Boston Consulting Group: BCG’s social impact unit boasts over 700 projects with 450 companies in 2019 alone. The company’s key areas of expertise include climate change, economic development, global education, human response, public health, and sustainability.
- Accenture: Accenture aims to use technology and innovation as its main drivers of social impact. The firm believes it can harness that emerging technologies to provide a sustainable future for everyone, which is why its focus lies in helping individuals and organisations become more tech-savvy to improve their social impact.
Want to find out more? Got any questions? Contact 180 Degrees Consulting Barcelona and we will be happy to help you. Stay tuned for more social impact articles.